Friday, May 21, 2010

Tracing History

In the past few months I renewed my interest in tracing my ancestors. I think the popularity of the show Who Do You Think You Are has renewed my interest. I have found that not only am I learning about my ancestors but I am also learning about history. For example, my great-great grandfather traveled to the United States to spare his boys from being conscripted in the Bavarian Army. Ironically my grandfather emigrated at a time of growing unrest in the US and found himself fighting in the Civil War. Each document you find helps to tell a story and along the way you also learn some history. This blog will be my place to share tips and tricks I have learned along the way.

1 comment:

  1. Hi,

    Nice to see another genealogy blogger with Bavarian roots. Where in Bayern do your folks come from? What are some of your surnames?

    Donna, whose OpenID credentials can never be verified.
    What's Past is Prologue

    ReplyDelete