Tuesday, April 3, 2012

My Most Difficult Wall: Part 2

So in the previous post I layed out what little information I had to start with with Joseph Hobby who married Aretta Burr. Whenever I would get frustrated with not being able to break down this brick wall I would give up for the time being and go work on another family line to work on for awhile. One day I decided to work at the brick wall from a different angle. I knew most likely Joesph was born in Connecticut and I went on the assumption he most likely was around the same age as Aretta. I reviewed the entries on Find-A-Grave for Ohio and someone had posted an entry in the Ninevah Cemetery  in Greenwich, Huron County for a Joesph Hobby and they even posted a picture of the gravestone. This entry seems to fit my Joseph but the gravestone is hard to read. It appears to say the following:

Joseph Hobby
died 
Mar 27 1850
aged 
35 Years

So if I am correct, this is likely to be my Joseph who married Aretta. This does fit with my previous theories but it still isn't solid evidence. I still didn't have any further information about Joseph's parents so I decided one day that I was going to start with the records that came from Connecticut.  I started with the The Barbour Collection of Connecticut Town Vital Records. Vol. 1-55  that was edited by Lorraine Cook White and available on Ancestry. Unfortunately, this collection just made me more frustrated because the records were not detailed and covered several years of birth, death, and marriage records. So I gave up for a time and worked on other lines. Google searches with the Hobby name are quite unfruitful as it is a common word but I decided to filter down to just Google books. I got lots of hits for Captain Joseph Hobby and Captain Thomas Hobby. Most of the references were with regards to military service in the revolutionary war and these men would be unlikely candidates for Joseph's father but could possibly be his grandfather. I realized it is was time to brush up on my history so I did. One historical event that was of particular interest was the Tryon's raid on the colonies of Connecticut in 1779. Most of the towns on the Connecticut coast were burned during the raid. After the war people in this area received a war bounty of land from the Connecticut Reserve which consisted of land that is now modern Ohio. This was a huge clue for me and made me realize why the migration of family took place. I am getting closer to solving this brick wall but not there yet! If one thing I have learned it that you must look at everything and leave no stone unturned. Still more to come. Stay tuned.

1 comment:

  1. Her a link to his listing in the 1850 Mortality Schedule; you didn't mention having looked at it.

    http://goo.gl/kbGBS4

    Charlie

    ReplyDelete